Friday, April 13, 2012

DIY Baby Mobile

A few weeks ago, I set out to search the internet for a mobile for Abigail's room.  I scoured websites, pinterest, and etsy and just could't find anything I was satisfied with.  Either the colors were not right or the price was too high.  So I decided to make my own.  I used this blog as my inspiration:  http://www.chicspacesforlittlefaces.com/2011/03/diy-baby-mobile.html  but made a few changes.  My mom and I went to Joann's Fabric and were able to get all the supplies. 

Supplies:
Card Stock (10 sheets)
Circle Cutters
Fishing Line
Needle (I used a safety pin)
Craft Glue (I used super glue)
Screw Hook
Embroidery Hoop
Yarn


I Choose Card Stock that matched my nursery colors....

I had to buy the circle cutters but it was well worth the money.  I got one 1" and one 1.75".

I borrowed fishing line from my Dad......it was 6lb line.

Embroidery Hoop with 4 strands of fishing line strung across the hoop to hang the circles from the middle.

My plan was to have a longer strands of circles in the middle and shorter on the outside.  So this is what I ended up with..
1 strand of 14 circles
8 strands of 12 circles
8 strands of 10 circles
and for the outer hoop 16 strands of 8 circles
This added up to 318 circles!!!

Here is a picture of the first strand (14) hung from the very center.  I made each strand by first tying a triple knot at the end of the fishing line, punching a small hole in the center of the circle with a safety pin then sliding the circle down the line till it sat right on top of the knot.  I then moved up only about 1" and tied the next knot.  I continued doing this until I had the desired amount of circles on the line.  I wasn't very systematic with the color or size placement.  The look I was going for was more random.  Tying all the knots took a lot of patience but having the circles so close together made the final product look even better.  A few people have asked how I got the circles to tilt different directions.....I didn't have to do anything.  They fall that way on their own. 

I needed Andy's help to hang the stands from the fishing line and to make it easier to work with I went ahead and temporarily hung the mobile from the ceiling fan in my living room.  To hang it I just tied four strands of fishing line on the hoop and all four in a knot at the very top.  I made them very long so I could have plenty of room to adjust the length with I got it up to the nursery.


I waited till I had all the strands on before deciding what to do to cover the wooden hoop.  I had a few ideas but ended up just wrapping it with yarn.  My mom already had the yarn so it was a free and easy way to finish it off.

Here is the finished mobile hanging in the nursery.  Andy used a screw hook to hang it with. 
I love the colors!  

3 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh!! I have the same exact thoughts on the mobile!! I haven't found ANYTHING that I like. I may try to do this myself!! I love it! Great job, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You should make one. It wasn't too hard just a little tedious at times. You are welcome to borrow my circle cutters if you decided to do it.

    ReplyDelete